The Projects Plan
I’m a pretty impulsive painter which for me means that I don’t take enough time to plan the projects before I start painting. Which makes it harder to get the results I want.
I’m getting tired of it so now I’ve been making a template for making a short plan for my projects. I found some suggestions online so with that and my own ideas I got a system that works for me,
It’s a very simple system and it doesn’t need to take much time to fill out.
- Focal Points
- Color Scheme
Most of them are quite self explanatory but I will include my reasoning about them.
- Name: Very self explanatory. Name it what ever you want.
- Genre: Mostly included because I like cataloging things and it helps with that.
- Type: Full miniature, Bust, something else all together?
- Atmosphere/Theme: The over all feel of the project like, cold fantasy for example.
- Lighting: Zenitial is the most usual but can be from any direction or object. Include OSL as well.
- Focal Points: Every miniature has at least one focal point but can also have multiple ones. The most common one is probably the face but it can be more or less anything that you want the viewer to focus on.
- Color Scheme: Be as specific or vague as you want but try to write down at least a general description. You don’t have to specify every single layer.
- Milestones: Many sources mention that it’s easier to get a good overview and quicker results is to break it down into smaller goals, milestones. It also makes it easier to see the actual progress that may. How many you want will differ between projects and personal preferences.
- Good/Bad: The latest addition to the list. This isn’t for planning the project, it’s to keep track on what you felt was good and bad of the finished project. This is also part of me cataloging and it’s a good way to look back on and see what areas you need to work on to improve your painting skills.
I made the system mainly for my display miniatures but should be usable for other types ass well with some small changes.
This isn’t the ultimate method, it might not even be a good one for most people but it does seem to be working pretty good for me.
How do you plan out you painting projects? It would be very interesting to hear your take on it.